Medical Rebates & Government Funding

Can I claim a refund from Medicare for speech pathology services?

Medicare does not usually cover speech pathology services. However, from 1 July 2004, some children and adults may be eligible for limited Medicare Plus benefits if they have an Enhanced Primary Care plan developed by their GP. The benefit is limited to five allied health services per year and cannot be used in conjunction with private health care benefits. Further information is available through the Department of Health and Ageing, Enhanced Primary Health Care Program website.  

Can I claim a refund from my private health fund?

Private health funds cover speech pathology assessments and treatment. The amount of your refund, if any, will depend on your fund's rules and the level of your cover.

Am I able to use my Helping Children with Autism or Better Start funding?

Lindfield Speech Pathology and Learning Centre is a part of the Early Intervention Service Provider Panel for the Helping children with Autism and the Better Start for Children with a Disability funding.  Children eligible for this funding are able to claim at our centre.  More information can be found at the Australian Government Department of Social Services. 

Can I use my National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding?

Lindfield Speech Pathology and Learning Centre is a registered provider of the NDIS. At this stage we are able to accommodate clients on a self managed plan or a plan managed plan only. More information on the NDIS website.

Do I need a referral from a doctor?

You do not need a doctor's referral to see a speech pathologist at the Centre. However, some private health funds may require a doctor's referral letter before they will pay benefits for speech pathology. Contact your private health fund for more information.