Orofacial Myology is treatment of the orofacial muscles (muscles of the tongue, lips and jaw) to improve muscle function and tone so that normal growth and development can take place.
Orofacial Myology is appropriate for individuals with:
- A tongue thrust swallow pattern
- An incorrect tongue rest posture (i.e. open mouth posture)
- An incorrect chewing pattern
- Abnormal respiratory patterns (i.e. mouth breathing)
- Incorrect speech patterns (e.g. interdental production of ‘s’)
- Habits such as thumb sucking
Often several professionals (such as an Ear, Nose & Throat Specialist, Specialist Dentist and Orthodontist) need to be consulted to help eliminate barriers that can compromise therapy progress.
For more information please visit the International Association of Orofacial Myology Website.